Hwin Juk (Rice Porridge)
Hwin juk means plain rice porridge in Korean. It's so simple to make - just add rice and water. Traditionally, it is something you eat when your stomach feels queasy, and can't eat much food, or are just feeling sick.
- 1/2 cup of rice, short grain rice
- 6-8 cups of water
- Wash and soak the rice for 1/2 hour or longer.
- Put in a pot with 6 cups of water, bring to a boil and turn the heat down to medium. Boil uncovered for 10-15 min, stirring constantly.
- You can adjust the water ratio depending on how thick/thin your soup is.
- Taste to see if the rice is tender enough, and turn the heat off. You can eat plain, or add a dash of clear soy sauce (guk ganjang), or eat with pickled items, like kimchi or jjangachi.
Serving Size: 2
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 20 minutes