Galbijim (Beef Short Rib Casserole)
Galbi jjim is a stewed, savory galbi casserole of sorts.
- 4 lb beef short rib, cut thick style (tong galbi)
- 1 med size white radish (moo), about 1½ lb
- 1 small ginger root, 1-2" long
- 1 small leek
- 1 medium onion
- 10 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp pine nut
- 10 shiitake mushrooms
- 2 carrots
- 15 chestnuts (bam)
- 15 ginko nut (eunhaeng)
- 15 dried dates (daechu)
- Sauce ingredients:
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 stalks of green onion, chopped small
- 1 tbsp ginger juice
- 1/3 cup Asian pear juice
- 1 tbsp ground sesame seed (kaesogum)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp threaded hot pepper (shilgochu)
- Take off the excess fat from the ribs and soak them in cold water to get blood out - set them aside for 1-2 hours. (If you can have your butcher cut the ribs into 1½" lengthwise, it will be good, but other wise, just use the ready cut, about 2-3" long).
- Add enough water to cover the ribs, and add the sliced garlic pieces, leek biased cut, sliced ginger root, 1 tsp black pepper and bring it all to boil. Once it starts boiling add the ribs and boil about 10 more minutes.Take out the ribs and let cool. Score the ribs with a knife and set aside.
- Cool the broth and put inside the refrigerator – after 1 hr or so, take out the hardened fat using a sieve. Save the broth.
- Peel and cut carrots lengthwise into small ½" slices; cut the radish into small cubes. Boil the carrots and radish cubes in salted water (approx. 1 tsp salt) separately for 4 min – take it out and set aside.
- Wash the dates and soak in the warm water if they are dried dates. After l/2 hr, cut the dates and get the seeds out, and cut into halves (or quarters if they're large).
- Soak shiitake mushrooms in warm water if dried. When the mushrooms are tender, remove the stems, slice the mushroom caps into 3-4 pieces lengthwise. Set aside.
- Peel chestnuts and cut into halves.
- Pan fry the ginko nuts (eunhaeng) with a little bit of oil and dash of salt on high heat. When they turn light green, sprinkle with 1 tsp of water and cover – cook for additional 1-2 min and turn the heat off. Take it out and rub off the skin with both hands – it should easily peel off. Set aside.
- Fry egg whites and yolks separately – make thin sheets and cut into approximately1 ½ x 2” squares. Set aside.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients. Pour about 2/3 of this sauce over the saved ribs and marinate for 30 min to 1 hr.
- Put the ribs in a pot and put 3 cups of saved stock to the pot – bring it to boil and simmer for about 1 hour. For the last 20-30 min, simmer uncovered, putting sauce over the ribs to coat with the sauce – by this time 2/3 of the sauce is gone Add radish, carrots, mushrooms, dates and chestnuts - add the rest of the sauce remaining and bring it to boil and simmer for 10-15 min.
- This dish is best served in a large round bowl, garnished with the ginko nuts and egg slices.
Serving Size: 5-6
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 1 hours, 15 minutes