Shiitake Dashi (Mushroom & Kelp Stock)
しいたけ だし / 椎茸 出汁
This variation of kombu dashi (or konbu dashi) is a more savory, stronger tasting soup broth. You can also make dashi, or stock, from katsuobushi (dried fish flakes) and niboshi (dried anchovies/sardines). There is kombu (a thick, dried kelp) that is available specifically for making dashi called kombu dashi.
- 6 cups of cold water
- 1 strip of dried kelp, about 5-6" inches (kombu こんぶ)
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- Soak shiitake mushrooms and kelp (kombu) in 6 cups of cold water for 30 minutes. (If you plan on using shiitake mushrooms in the dish you are making, soak for 2-3 hours).
- Remove the mushroom stems, then slice the caps thinly. Put the slices back into the water.
- Bring all of it to a simmer; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the kombu, then let the mushroom slices simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove the mushroom slices before using the broth.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 20 minutes