Myulchi & Almond Bokkeum (Pan Fried Anchovy & Almonds)
Myulchi bokkeum is a simple Korean side dish (banchan 반찬) made of small dried anchovy. You can also use larger dried anchovy, but I prefer the smaller. You can usually find these in the dried aisles of Korean grocery stores. This version is a bit different from the traditional myulchi bokkeum
version in that it includes almonds.
- 5 oz small dried anchovy (myulchi 멸치)
- 1 oz sliced almond
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cooking wine
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp corn syrup (mulyeot 물엿)
- 3 tbsp hot pepper oil (optional)
- dash of whole roasted sesame seed (tongkae 통깨)
- dash of sesame oil
- Microwave the anchovies for 1½ min on high to get it crispy.
- Slice the almonds into thin pieces (or buy almonds presliced).
- Heat a frying pan and add sugar, cooking wine, soy sauce, corn syrup and hot pepper oil (optional). When it starts bubbling, turn off the heat and add the anchovy and almond slices. Mix well.
- Add dash of sesame oil and garnish with whole sesame seeds. Serve as a side dish for rice.
Serving Size: 3-4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes