Chili and Tomato Dip (Nam Phrik Num)
Sometimes it is tough to get my friends to try new recipes. I often have to give them food analogies to explain a lot of Laotian and Thai recipes. This recipe for Chili and Tomato Dip (Nam Phrik Num) is what I believe to be an equivalent to Thai salsa for grilled meats and steamed fish.
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon, dried red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small sauce pan, bring the tomatoes and water to a boil. Stir constantly, making sure the sauce pan doesn't burn. You want a thick tomato consistency (about 5-8 minutes).
- Turn off the stove. Add the cilantro, scallions, chili flakes and salt. Make sure it is thoroughly mixed.
- Serve in a dipping bowl. Makes 1 cup.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 20 minutes