Youtiao Chinese Crullers
Crispy, crunchy Chinese crullers or more commonly known as You Tiao/Yau Char Kwai/Yiu Char Koey are quite popular in the East and the West. Youtiao, an everyday Chinese breakfast food, is basically two long fried sticks attached together. It is often served with Doujiang (soybean milk) or with congee (rice porridge). This Chinese donut is so popular different countries have different names for it. Indonesia calls it cakwe. The Thais consume it as pathongko ปาท่องโก๋. The Vietnamese revere youtiao as dầu cháo quỷ or giò cháo quẩy. In the Philippines, the youtiao is called bicho.
Did you know that a common lore is that Portuguese sailors discovered youtiao and they brought it back with them to create churros?
- 1/2 cup bread flour sifted
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder (double action)
- 1 teaspoon of yeast
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- glutinous rice flour for dusting
- 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl
- 8 cups oil for deep-frying
- In a mixer using the dough hook, beat together the bread flour, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, yeast, and salt. Slowly add the water.
- Form the dough into a ball and place a sheet of saran wrap on top of the dough in the bowl. Let it rise for 4 hours.
- On a floured surface knead dough well. Roll the dough until you reach 1/2 cm thick and square in shape.
- Using a sharp knife cut the dough into 20 strips that are 1/2-inch wide.
- Take one strip of dough and place on a floured surface. Brush the dough lightly with water, place another strip of dough on top of the wet one, press lightly in the center with your fingers lengthwise along the center. This gives the basic shape for you tiao. Repeat process with remaining pieces.
- Heat oil for deep-frying in a deep pan or wok. Pick up one double strip. Hold the two ends and stretch it until it is 6 inches long.
- Drop into hot oil. Turn dough on both sides continuously with a chopstick or tongs until it is golden brown and expands. Remove and drain. Repeat with other strips.
- Leave to cool a little and to drain off excessive oil before eating.
Serving Size: 5
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 45 minutes