Yongeun Jorim (Seasoned Lotus Root)
This is a recipe for a sweet and savory lotus root banchan (side dish). Lotus root is supposedly rich in nutrients and good for inflammation. I like the crispiness and unique flavor of the lotus root.
- 150 gram fresh lotus root
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp cooking wine
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp corn syrup (mulyeot 물엿)
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seed (kaesogum 깨소금)
- Peel the lotus root and cut into thin round pieces (about 1/4” thickness), and sprinkle lightly with vinegar to prevent discoloring or the cut root.
- Bring ½ pot of water to a boil and dunk in the cut root pieces briefly. Take them out, rinse with cold water and drain.
- Put soy sauce, water, wine, and brown sugar in a pot, bring to a boil and add the lotus roots. Cook on a medium high heat for about 20 min, or until the sauce gets down to the bottom. Mix with a spoon 2-3 times in between.
- When almost all the sauces are absorbed by the root, then add the corn syrup and coat it evenly; garnish with the roasted sesame seeds.
Serving Size: 3-4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes