Yangbaechu Ssam (Steamed Cabbage Wraps)
This recipe calls for yangbaechu, or Western baechu or cabbage. Simply steam the cabbage, make the serving sauce and you can use it for ssam, or wraps.
- ½ cabbage head, medium sized about 2 1b (yangbaechu 양배추)
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp hot pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루)
- 1 tsp cooking wine (mirin or white wine)
- 2 stalks of green onion, chopped small
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seed powder (kaesogum 깨소금)
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Cut core stem of the cabbage out, wash and separate the leaves. Put in the steamer pot with 3-4 cups water.
- Bring the water to a boil and let it steam for 6-7 minutes or until the cabbage leaves are crisp but tender – be careful not to overcook.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together and stir well. Put into a small serving plate.
- Serve the steamed cabbage leaves on a plate with the small sauce serving dish. Use this cabbage and sauce as a wrap bbq pork, beef or other meat, or you can eat it plain with a bit of rice and sauce.
Serving Size: 6
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes