Trading Rice- Northern Malay Sticky Rice
Nasi Dagang Terengganu
I obtained the recipe from a Malay friend who is originally from Terengganu, a northern Malay state. The rice is usually served with fish curry for breakfast and lunch. Modern day version include serving the dish with chicken and beef curry, pickled cucumber and onions.I just love the blend of spices and coconut milk in the rice.
- 3 cups of long grain rice
- 1 cup of glutinous rice (sticky rice)
- 2 cups of thin coconut milk
- 2 cups of thick coconut milk
- 1 tsp fenugreek seed or methi
- 3 shallots, sliced thinly
- 1 inch ginger, sliced thinly
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Mix both rice in a bowl. Add water to cover. Let rice soaks for 3 hours.
- When rice is ready, drain in a colander. Bring a pot of water to boil. Have your steamer ready. Layered your steamer with cheesecloth. Pour rice onto the prepared steamer.
- Steam rice for 20 mins. Remove steamer from the pot of boiling water. Sprinkle rice grains with thin coconut milk until liquid is all absorbed.
- Placed steamer back on pot of boiling water and steam for another 20 mins.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, mix thick coconut milk, fenugreek seed, shallots, ginger, salt and sugar.
- When rice is ready, remove rice from steamer and placed it into the large bowl with all the ingredients. Mix well and let sit for 5 mins till all coconut milk is absorbed.
- Placed rice back to steamer and steam over boiling water for another 5 mins.
- Served with your favorite curry.
Serving Size: 4-6
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 50 minutes