Thai Chicken Salad - Larb Gai
ลาบไก่ - Larb Gai (Lao: ລາບ)
Sometimes "lost in translation" occurs for Asian dishes. Larb Gai is a spicy chicken recipe that gets lost in translation, originating out of Laos and spreading to the northeastern area of Thailand (Isaan).
In the US, Larb Gai is served as a salad or an appetizer. In Laos and Thailand, Larb Gai is served as part of the main entree. Thai chicken salad is traditionally served with long-grain Thai or Lao sticky rice.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup green scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cilantro, chopped
- 1/8 cup mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted rice powder
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Thai dried chili flakes
- In a medium sauce pan, bring the water to a simmer over medium high heat. Stir in chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Turn off heat.
- Stir in scallions, cilantro, mint, rice powder, fish sauce, lime juice and chili flakes.
- Serve with sticky rice and cucumbers.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes