Sujebi (Flour Dough Flakes Soup)
Sujebi is a traditional Korean soup that is made of hand-torn noodle flakes.
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 tsp potato starch
- 1 cup of water
- 1 egg
- 3 tsp salt
- 4 cups of water
- l/2 zucchini, med size, cut in lengthwise and about l/2” thick
- 1 med size potato, cut in half lengthwise and about l/2” thick
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp clear soy sauce (guk ganjang 국간장)
- 1 tbsp red pepper (optional)
- 2-3 stalks of green onion cut length wise, 2-3 inches long
- Anchovy broth ingredients
- 1 sheet kelp, about 4-5" long (dashima 다시마)
- 2 cups of water
- 4-6 large dried, gutted anchovies (myulchi 멸치)
- Mix and the flour and potato starch. In a separate bowl, mix 1 cup of water, egg and 1 tsp of salt. Add slowly to the flour mix, eventually kneading until the dough is very smooth. Cover and store in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the anchovy broth -- in a pot, add the kelp sheet and 2 cups of water. Boil for about 10 minutes, then add the 4-6 large dried, gutted anchovies (or alternatively, 2 tsp of myulchi powder). Boil on medium heat for about 20 minutes. Drain and save the stock.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and stretch into thin, leafy shapes using your hands.
- In a large pot, add 4 cups of water and the anchovy broth. Also add the zucchini, potatoes, garlic and 2 tbsp of clear soy sauce. Bring to a boil, and drop the flour dough flakes.
- When the flakes start floating, add the in cut green onion and boil additional minutes. Add salt, red pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Serving Size: 4-5
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 40 minutes