Saewoo Twigim (Deep Fried Shrimp)
Twigim (튀김) refers to batter-dipped and deep-fried items, including vegetables, shrimp and other things. This recipe is for shrimp twigim.
- 1 1b of large shrimps (15-20 count)
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of corn starch
- 1 cup of cold/ice water (if you want thicker batter, you can use less water)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups of vegetable oil
- Wash shrimp, remove shells and devein (use a tooth pick and poke 2nd segment of shrimp’s back to get the gut out). Use a knife to cut a slit through the middle of the shrimp's back, splitting the shrimp and letting the two halves flare out like wings, but keep the tails on. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and leave for 15 minutes. Then dust shrimp lightly with 5-6 tbsp of flour – and set aside.
- Mix flour, corn starch, water and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Whip eggs. Dip each shrimp into the eggs then coat lightly with the flour mixture.
- Heat vegetable oil until very hot – test it with drop of water/see if it’s sizzling and turn it to medium heat. Dip each shrimp into the oil and fry for about 3-4 min – take it out when it turns light brown. Put a paper towel on a plate and place shrimp to drain.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or with choganjang (vinegared soy sauce).
Serving Size: 4-5
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes