Oi Muchim (Fresh Seasoned Cucumber)
Oi muchim is a fresh, spicy preparation of cucumbers that is like a salad. It is meant to be eaten immediately and not fermented, like kimchi.
- 1 l/2 lbs pickling cucumber (or Korean tender cucumber, Oi 오이)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2-3 stalks chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp of chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp of red pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루)
- 1 tsp ground sesame seed
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp white vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 1 tbsp pickled shrimp (optional) – if using these add some minced ginger to offset fishiness
- Cut the ends off the cucumbers; then cut into 1½" sections, then quarter lengthwise.
- Sprinkle salt lightly (about 1 tbsp) to marinate – set aside for about 30 min.
- Drain the cucumbers and add the green onion, garlic, red pepper powder, sesame seed, sugar, vinegar and pickled shrimp (optional, if you use, add ginger). Mix well and taste. Adjust salt as needed. Serve while fresh; don’t need to get fermented. If vinegar is used fermenting doesn’t work well, but it can be stored in the refrigerator and eaten later.
Serving Size: 8
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes