Nakji Jeongol (Small Octopus Casserole)
A spicy seafood casserole made of octopus, clams and shrimp.
- 2 med size small octopus (nakji 낙지) about 10 oz
- 1/2 lb fresh shrimp
- 1/2 lb steamer clams
- 1 box tofu, medium-firm (19 oz)
- 1 medium sized yellow onion
- 1 small bunch hemlock water dropwort (minari 미나리)
- 2 red bell pepper
- 1 large jalapeno pepper
- 2 stalks green onion
- Anchovy stock ingredients
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 3 whole dried red peppers (gochu 고추) -- optional
- 1/2 Korean white radish (moo 무)
- 2 small pieces of kelp (dashima 다시마) -- about 4x4"
- 10 dried anchovies (remove the guts)
- 7-8 garlic pieces
- 2-3 small slices of ginger
- 1 gallon of water
- Sauce recipes
- 1 tbsp hot pepper taste (gochujang 고추장)
- 1 tbsp hot pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루)
- 1 tbsp soy bean paste (doenjang 된장)
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all the anchovy stock ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil, then simmer for half an hour. Filter to get clear stock. Set aside.
- Wash and remove the octopus' guts and eyes, sprinkle some sea salt, and rub the octopus then rinse. Bring a pot of water to boil, then quickly blanch the octopus. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut tofu in roughly 1½" cubes. Dice the onions and dropwort; chop the jalapeno & bell peppers into roughly ½" pieces. Chop the green onions into 1-2" segments.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large pot, add the tofu, yellow onions, clams and shrimp. Pour the anchovy stock and sauce mixture over the tofu and boil for 7-10 minutes.
- When the onions look cooked, add the cut octopus, red pepper, jalapeno, dropwort and green onion –- cook for additional 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
Serving Size: 4-5
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes