Myulchi Bokkeum (Stir Fried Anchovy)
Myulchi bokkeum is a simple Korean side dish (banchan 반찬) made of small dried anchovy. You can also use larger dried anchovy, but I prefer the smaller. You can usually find these in the dried aisles of Korean grocery stores.
- 1 lb dried small anchovy (myulchi 멸치)
- l/2 cup soy sauce
- l/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp whole roasted sesame seed
- Heat a frying pan on high. Add soy sauce, brown sugar and vegetable oil into a hot frying pan, stirring rapidly.
- When the mixture starts boiling, turn the heat down to medium, add dried anchovies and mix quickly -- making sure the sauce coats the anchovy evenly.
- Turn the heat off, sprinkle sesame seeds and mix well. If you'd like a little spice, sprinkle with hot pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루) or throw in a few slices of jalapeno pepper.
Serving Size: 8
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes