Moo Gul Bap (Radish Oyster Rice)
This recipe is for a mixed rice of white radish (in Korean, called moo) and oysters, topped with sauce. I saw this recipe in a Korean women’s magazine a while ago, and copied down to try it for myself since I like white radish (moo) and oysters. I adjusted the sauce and ingredients to fit my needs and it turned out good. This could be a perfect menu for an Autumn day when both the white radish (moo) and oysters are sweet and flavorful.
- 2 cup rice
- 1/3 medium size Korean white radish (moo 무), about 1 lb
- 1 small carrot
- handful of dry seaweed (miyeok 미역), about 1 oz
- 1 jar, 10 fl oz oysters
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cup water
- Sauce for the rice:
- 4 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp clear fish sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil (chamgirum 참기름)
- 2 tsp finely chopped green onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground sesame seeds (kaesogum 깨소금)
- 2 tbsp red pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루)
- Wash and soak the rice for 1 hr or longer.
- Slice white radish (moo 무) into thin discs, then into matchstick style. Also cut the carrots into thin matchsticks.
- Soak the seaweed briefly (5-10 min), add a dash of salt to it and rub with the seaweed, then rinse. Cut into small thin pieces.
- Put the oysters into salted water for a few minutes, then rinse and drain. Cut into small bite-sized pieces if the oysters are too large. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Put soaked rice into a colander and drain the excess water. Bring a pot to medium heat and add 2 tbsp of sesame oil. Add the rice and 1 tsp of salt. Stir around well to coat the rice with the sesame oil.
- Next, add the sliced white radish, carrot and seaweed. Stir around well and add about 1½ cup of water. Mix well and cook on medium high heat. When it starts boiling, stir around more. Scrape the bottom carefully, so the rice does not get stuck on the bottom too much. Cover with a lid then reduce the heat to medium-low; cook for 15-20 minutes. When the rice gets tender after about 15 minutes, add the cut oysters. Cook for another 10 min.
- Mix all of the rice sauce ingredients together. Serve the sauce on the side so people can add their own topping. Serve while the rice is warm.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 35 minutes