Memil Guksu (Cold Buckwheat Noodles)
Memil guksu is a dish that can be prepared in hot style or cool style. The recipe below is for the cool style, dipped in a chilled soy sauce base. It's best in the summer, I think. You can also take a shortcut by buying the noodles and the dipping sauce in a Korean or Japanese grocery store, but I prefer to make my own dipping sauce.
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 of small red delicious apple, sliced
- 1 anchovy powder (myulchi garu 멸치 가루)
- 1 small kelp (4x5") size, (dashima 다시마)
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 3 tbsp of rice wine
- 10 oz buckwheat noodles (4 tied bundles)
- 1/4 small Korean radish (moo 무)
- 2 bunches of green onion
- 4 dried unseasoned seaweed sheets (gim 김)
- 1 tbsp of green mustard (wasabi or gyoja), fresh/ready made or dried powder (add l/2 tbsp of water and mix)
- First make the dipping sauce/broth: in a pot, put 4 cups of water, add kelp and apple slices. Bring to a boil and cook on medium heat for about 15 min. Add anchovy powder and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat off and strain through a sieve. Just save the liquid. Add soy sauce, sugar, rice wine and put in the refrigerator for 1 hr or longer.
- Peel radish and grate. Set aside. Cut green onions into small pieces. Set aside.
- Roast seaweed sheets on the stovetop for a couple of seconds each side, and cut into long thin pieces, about l/4 x 2”. Place in a small serving plate or bowl.
- Boil about 8 cups of water, and put in buckwheat noodles – cook for 5-6 min stirring occasionally. Rinse in cold water and drain. Set aside.
- When the dipping sauce is cool, pour about 1/2 cup of the sauce into individual bowls (about half full). Prepare small serving plates with ground radish, green onion, wasabi and cut seaweed pieces. Separate the noodles into small, neat bundles about the size of half a fist, using your hands. Put the noodle bundles on a communal plate, or you can place them on a plate for each person. Each person can add these garnishes in the dipping sauce to their own taste, then dip a small portion of noodles and eat.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes