Mat Doenjang (Nutritious Fermented Bean)
This is a healthy preparation of doenjang, or fermented soybean paste, that I like to have on hand to use for sanchu ssam (lettuce wraps with BBQ), or just eating as a topping with rice. This recipe makes a lot, so you can freeze or store for later use.
- 1 lb pork (center cut), fat trimmed off
- 1 cup ground garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cup fermented soybean paste (doenjang 된장)
- 1/2 cup red pepper paste (gochujang 고추장)
- 1 tbsp hot pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루)
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp anchovy powder (myulchi garu 멸치 가루)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds (kaesogum 깨소금)
- 1 pack fresh white mushroom (12 oz)
- 2 white large onion
- 2 green and yellow zucchini (med size)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 5 jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 2 bunch green onions
- 2 boxes of tofu
- 1 small carrot
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 cups water
- Trim off the fat on pork and chop finely. Heat a saucepan, and brown the meat with the garlic, black pepper, sesame seeds and sesame oil. Remove from heat and add fermented soybean paste (doenjang), red pepper paste (gochujang), hot pepper powder (gochugaru), brown sugar and anchovy powder - mix well and set aside.
- Chop the mushrooms, yellow onion, zucchini, peppers, jalapeno peppers (optional) and green onions into small pieces by hand. Mince the ginger. Cut the tofu into small squares and grind the carrots using cheese grater.
- Mix the chopped vegetables (except the carrots and tofu) into the meat and sauce. Add 2 cups of water and cook on medium heat - when it starts boiling, add carrots. Simmer for about 30-40 min, stirring frequently.
- Add the tofu squares and simmer for additional 10 min, still stirring.
- It should make about 4 qts – divide it into several small containers, leave some in the refrigerator and freeze some for later use. You can serve this with rice, or use it as ssam jang (lettuce wrap), or when you would usually use doenjang in recipes.
Serving Size: 20
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes