Maewoon Dak Bulgogi (Spicy Chicken Bulgogi)
매운 닭불고기 / 매운닭
is typically made from beef sirlon or ribeye, but this recipe uses chicken and spices it up! I like to use thigh meat as breast meat can be too dry.
- 2 lb chicken thigh meat (boneless) with skin off
- 1 med size yellow onion
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of cooking wine, mirin
- 3 tbsp of hot pepper paste (gochujang 고추장)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp of dried, crushed chili pepper with seeds in
- 2 tbsp of hot pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루)
- 2 bunches of green onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 shiitake mushroom, fresh or dried (soaked) (pyogo buhsut 표고버섯)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil or vegetable oil for frying
- Wash chicken, slice into thin long pieces.
- In a blender, put chopped onion, garlic pieces, cooking wine, gochujang, and soy sauce. Add 1 tbsp of water, and grind until it becomes smooth mixture. Pour the blend over the chicken pieces – add sesame oil, sugar, salt, chili flakes and hot pepper powder. Mix well with your hands and set aside.
- Cut green onions into segments 3-4" long. Slice green and red bell peppers and julienne carrots. Remove the cap of the shiitake mushrooms (soak the mushrooms if necessary) and cut into thin, long pieces.
- Heat a wok or frying pan, add oil. When the oil is hot add the marinated chicken and cook chicken halfway. Then add the cut vegetables, adding in this order: carrots, mushrooms, bell peppers and green onions. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Serving Size: 5
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes