Lauki Channa Dal
This is a lentils recipe from my Indian friend. Lauki channa dal has a unique nutty taste. You can eat it by itself as soup or as a side dish.
- 1 cup channa dal (yellow lentils)
- 3 cups water
- ½ med size lauki (zucchini)
- ½ onion
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- dash chili powder
- dash turmeric
- dash coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Wash channa dal several times, cover with cold water and let soak in a large pot for at least 1 hour.
- Slice lauki (zucchini) into about ¼" thick and cut into small squares – set aside.
- Dice onion and brown in a large saucepan. Add grated ginger, chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and salt.
- Drain the dal, and add into the pot. Also add 3 cups of water, and the zucchini. Bring the heat to medium and cook for ½ hour or longer, stirring occasionally. When the channa dal is soft and the zucchini taste tender, it’s done. You can add salt and water to your liking.
- Serve with roti (flatbread), nan and/or rice.
Serving Size: 2-4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes