Korean Style Mapo Tofu
마포 두부/ 麻婆豆腐
There are certain Chinese dishes that have been adopted by Koreans and mapo tofu is one of them. Mapo tofu is originally from Sichuan and is supposed to be very very spicy. In this Korean-style version of the dish, I tone down the spice and use Korean hot pepper powder.
- 1 box silken tofu, cut into small cubes
- 2 oz ground beef, pork, or chicken
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp hot pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루)
- 1 tsp hot pepper paste (gochujang 고추장)
- 1 tsp fermented soy bean paste (doenjang 된장)
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 green onion stalk, chopped
- Heat oil in a wok or large, deep fry pan. Add garlic, ginger, hot pepper powder, onion and meat and saute, stirring frequently for 2-3 min.
- Mix the fermented soy bean paste and hot pepper paste together and add into the pan. Continue sauteing for a few more minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and water. Slide the tofu in carefully.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the green onion stalks and serve hot!
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes