Korean Potato Salad
Here in the US, potato salad is a summer dish that you find at BBQs and picnics. In Korean food, there's a type of Korean-style potato salad, too. It's commonly served as a banchan (side dish) in Korean restaurants, with more traditional side dishes, like kimchi. It actually tastes good when you eat a bit of potato salad with Korean kalbi or other barbecue and a bit of kimchi. Compared to American-style potato salad, it's a bit tangier.
- 3 large potato, about 2 lb
- 1 large carrot
- 1 crispy apple
- 1 Korean cucumber, 8 oz
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- salt & pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes, and cut into small squares. Also peel carrots and cut into very small cubes. You don't have to peel the apple as long as it is a kind with thin skin. Chop apple into small pieces.
- Peel only tough part of the cucumber, but the leave most of the skin on, and cut into small squares. Sprinkle with dash of salt, use about ½ tsp; and marinate it for about 10 min with the vinegar and sugar - after 10 minutes, drain and squeeze out excess water.
- Bring about 4 cups of water into a rapid boil, and add cut potatoes, and ½ tsp
- of salt. Boil for about 10 minutes, or until the potato pieces are soft (test with a toothpick or chopstick). Drain most of the water and cook on medium heat for 5 more minutes or until the potato pieces are very soft and all the water disappears. Pour potatoes into a bowl and push it down with the potato masher and it will get smashed easily. Set aside.
- Boil cut carrots, with a pinch of salt in the water - cook for about 5 min. Drain - and set aside.
- Hard boil the eggs: put eggs in the cold water, bring to a boil and cook on med heat for about 7-8 min. Cool the eggs in the cold water; let it sit for a couple of min, peel and separate the whites from the yolks and cut into small squares.
- Cool all the ingredients in the refrigerator for 1 hour or longer and add mayonnaise; mix it well and you can add salt and pepper to taste. Serve as a banchan (side dish) -- it goes well with Korean BBQ, too.
Serving Size: 4-5
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes