Korean Dak Juk 닭죽 (Chicken Porridge)
Full story and recipe at http://www.oliviajasonkim.com
- Servings: 4~6 people
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 40~45 minutes
- 4-5 pieces (1 lb) boneless chicken breasts
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 zucchini, cut into small cubes
- 1 carrot, cut into small cubes
- 8-9 cups of water
- 3 cups jjapsahl (Korean sweet rice)
- 1 tbsp salt
- soy sauce to taste
- sliced scallions (garnish)
- sesame oil (for taste and garnish)
- Be sure to soak sweet rice in a large bowl of water (partially submerged) at least an hour before usage. There should be directions to usage so check the package if available.
- Fill a large pot with about 8 cups of water, boil and then add whole chicken breasts, garlic cloves, and about 1 tbsp of salt. Boil on medium-high setting for about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces from the heat and rinse under running cold water to cool. The chicken pieces can be torn into strips by hands or cut into thinly diced pieces according to preference.
- As for the chicken broth, strain through a sieve and/or remove the garlic cloves with a spoon (saving is optional). Reserve chicken broth and pour about 3-4 cups of broth back into the pot.
- Drain the water from the sweet rice and combine with shredded chicken and diced vegetables into the pot. Cook for about 20 minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent rice from sticking on the bottom. Keep the lid partially covered until a thick consistency is achieved. Add more chicken broth or water if necessary.
- Plate into soup bowls while topping with a dash of sesame oil, soy sauce and green onion slices according to taste. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 6-8
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 45 minutes