Kimchi Pajeon (Kimchi Pancake)
Jeon is the Korean word for fried, pancake-like items. You may be familiar with regular pajeon (green onion pancake), haemul pajeon (seafood pancake)
and others from restaurants. This recipe uses ripe kimchi to add a nice flavor to the ordinary pajeon.
- ½ of a head of napa kimchi (this is called a "pogi") -- if you only have pre-cut kimchi slices, use approximately 1½ - 2 cups
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 3-4 stalks of green onions
- 1 bacon strip
- 1 cup water
- If you are using a pogi, cut the napa head into small pieces, first cutting in the middle, then cutting into about ½" long pieces. This should amount to about 1¾ cup of cut kimchi. Save the juice and set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour and water using an egg beater. Add kimchi (including juice) to this mixture.
- Cut green onion through the middle, then cut the halves into about 2-3" long pieces.
- Cut bacon strip into 3-4 pieces, and add this into a frying pan on medium heat. The bacon will flavor the kimchi while frying.
- Add one small scoop of kimchi batter onto the frying pan, then lay the green onion pieces on top, arranging lengthwise and pushing it down slightly into the pancake. Fry 1-2 minutes or until the edges get slightly brown. Turn it over and fry, patting it down lightly – fry for 1-2 min and turn the heat off. Serve warm.
Serving Size: 4-5
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes