Kimchi Guk (Kimchi Soup)
One of the many, many things you can do with kimchi, kimchi guk is a simple and easy soup made of kimchi, bean sprouts and beef. Kimchi guk is different from kimchi jjigae
, which is more of a thick casserole/stew.
- a small piece of beef (3-4 oz) top sirloin, or beef stew meat
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 head of ripe/older napa kimchi (baechu kimchi), use approximately 3/4 to 1 cup if kimchi is presliced kind
- 1 handful of bean sprouts (kongnamul 콩나물)
- 1 tsp anchovy powder or dried anchovies, gutted (4-5)
- salt to taste
- Cut beef into thin small, thin pieces. Put into a pot with sesame oil and brown on medium heat.
- Add water; bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Cut kimchi into small pieces and add into the pot, along with anchovy powder (or gutted anchovies). Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add bean sprouts and cook for another few minutes. Taste and add salt (or kimchi juice) to taste; you can adjust salt depending on how salty the kimchi was. If you used gutted anchovies, remove them before serving.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 20 minutes