Janchi Guksu (Thin Noodles with Vegetables)
Janchi means feast or banquet because these are traditionally served at banquets, but these noodles are more like simple comfort food. Create a rich anchovy-based soup broth and you can top with a wide variety of vegetables. I use beef, zucchini and carrots. You can also top with thinly sliced egg, dried seaweed strips, or mushrooms.
- 8-10 oz thin noodle (somyeon) – 2 large servings, or 4 small servings
- Stock ingredients:
- 2 tsp anchovy powder (or 4-5 gutted large dry anchovy)
- 2 dry or fresh shiitake mushroom (pyogo buhsut 표고버섯)
- 1 small piece kelp, approx 4x5" piece (dashima 다시마)
- 5 cups water
- ½ small yellow onion
- 2 bunch of green onion
- ¼ small Korean white radish (moo 무)
- 4-5 peeled garlic pieces
- 3 dried hot pepper
- 4 tsp clear soy sauce
- dash black pepper
- Ingredients for toppings:
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 6 oz top loin beef (or any other)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chopped green onion
- Make the soup stock: in a pot with 5 cups of water, put anchovy (gutted) or anchovy powder, sliced mushroom, kelp (rinsed thoroughly), sliced onion, minced green onion, white radish (sliced thinly), garlic (sliced thinly), and dried hot pepper cut in the middle. Bring to a boil and cook on medium heat for about 20-30 minutes. Filter and save only the clear stock. Taste and adjust salt or soy sauce if it needs.
- For toppings: slice the beef thinly, and cut lengthwise. Mix with 2 tsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, sprinkle with a dash black pepper and garlic powder. Let sit for 15 - 20 minutes, then cook in a frying pan for 2-3 minutes or until done.
- Slice carrot and zucchini, and cut into thin long pieces - sprinkle with dash salt and garlic powder, separately. Let it sit for 10-15 min and drain, stir fry for a couple of min.
- Cook noodles -- bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles for about 4 minutes. Because they are so thin they do not take a long time to cook. Rinse in cold water and drain.
- Assemble each bowl by placing noodles in the bowl, covering with hot soup stock, then garnishing with vegetables and beef, arranged neatly on top. You can serve with some hot sauce (soy sauce, hot pepper, sesame oil) on the side.
Serving Size: 2-4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes