Horenso no Ohitashi (Spinach Soaked in Broth)
A simple side dish of blanched spinach, rich in flavor from being soaked in broth and soy sauce. Top with roasted fish flakes to bring out the smoky flavor even more.
- 1 bunch of spinach, washed thoroughly
- dash of salt
- 5 tbsp of seaweed broth (dashi)
- 1 1/2 tbsp of soy sauce
- bonito flakes (katsuobushi)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add a dash of salt. Blanch the spinach -- briefly dunking in all of the spinach and rotating quickly to ensure even blanching.
- Strain the spinach and rinse. Dunk the spinach in cold water for a few minutes. Squeeze the excess water out of the spinach, bunch by bunch.
- Mix the soy sauce and the dashi together in a bowl. Place the spinach into the bowl, making sure that all of is equally exposed to the broth. Soak for 20 minutes.
- If you'd like a precise look for serving, arrange the spinach into neat piles and chop into 2" lengths. Otherwise, you can just form little piles (like I did above). Garnish with a bit of roasted katsuobushi to enhance the flavor.
Serving Size: 2-3
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes