Honeydew Sago Pudding
椰汁蜜瓜西米 ye zhi mi gua xi mi
I learned how to make honeydew sago when I was served the coconut pudding at a traditional Chinese wedding. This recipe for honeydew sago was simple to make and has become one of my desserts for easy entertaining.
- ½ cup pearl sago
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 pinches of salt
- half of a honeydew melon, sliced or you can used a melon baller
- Rinse sago pearls under cold water for 1 minute. This will help the sago pearls cook faster.
- Bring water to a boil in medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Add sago pearls. Cook for about 10 to 12 minutes or until sago becomes translucent. Stirring frequently to prevent sago from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Drain the sago pearls in a strainer and rinse under cold running water. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring coconut milk, salt and sugar to simmer. Add sago pearls. Cook until pudding becomes slightly thickened (about 3 minutes). Let cool for 15 minutes.
- In small bowls or miniature cups, layer the sago mixture with melon - alternating layers.
- You can either serve the honeydew sago pudding at this stage or you can also refrigerate it to cool the entire mixture for 1-2 hours. If you decide refrigerate, the honey dew sago mixture will thicken in consistency.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes