Galchi Jorim (Belt Fish & Radish Casserole)
Galchi is a type of fish used in Korean cuisine -- it is called "belt fish" or "hairtail". Galchi has soft meat, and tastes quite good when it’s cooked fresh, not frozen. But even frozen, it's still pretty good. It's eaten different ways – roasted, fried, baked or made into casserole, or "jorim". I used to make this quite often in Korea especially in the autumn season because that’s when it was caught and it tasted the best. Here in the U.S. it will be hard to buy a fresh one. The one I used in this recipe was caught in India, and had probably been frozen and unfrozen.
- 1 large belt fish (galchi, 갈치) about 2 ½ lb
- 1/2 Korean white radish (moo, 무) medium size
- 1 cup stock made from dried anchovy (myulchi 멸치) and sea kelp boiled water – or you can substitute plain water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 5 tbsp mirin (cooking wine)
- ¼ bell pepper or red pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger juice
- 2 tbsp Korean red pepper powder (ochugaru, 고추가루)
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- ½ round onion (sliced thinly)
- 2 tbsp coarse sea salt
- Wash cut belt fish (the seafood market will cut it for you – making the fish about 8-9 parts), and sprinkle with the salt – let it sit for about ½ hour.
- Peel the white radish - moo - and cut into about ¼” thick slices. In a pot, spread the moo pieces and add about ½ cup of stock (or water), add 3-4 tbsp of soy sauce and 1 tbsp cooking wine. Cook in a medium heat for about 7-8 min.
- Make a sauce adding all the rest of the ingrediens to the stock (or water) - garlic, ginger, red pepper, chopped green onion,sliced onion, and rest of the soy sauce, 3 tbsp cooking wine, gochu garu (red pepper powder) and the soy sauce.
- Wash off the fish with water and put it on top of the moo in the pot, and sprinkle the sauce mixture all around the fish. Cover the lid and bring to a boil. When it starts to boil, then the heat to low, and cook for about 30 mins. Occasionally scoop the sauce over the fish – tilt the pot, so the liquid will gather and you can scoop up the sauce and sprinkle on top. Serve in a communal bowl with rice and side dishes.
Serving Size: 3-4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes