Galbitang (Beef Rib Soup)
A classic Korean soup using Korean short ribs, or kalbi. This dish is often served at special occasions, like wedding receptions.
- 3 lb beef short rib (kalbi 갈비)
- 1 l/2 lb beef brisket
- 1 l/2 Korean white radish (moo 무)
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 10 peeled garlic pieces
- 1 leek
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 3-4 tbsp clear soy sauce (guk ganjang 국간장)
- 2 bunches of green onion
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- handful of threaded dry pepper (shilgochu 실고추)
- Soak ribs and brisket in cold water for 1 hour, changing water 2-3 times to get the blood out.
- Put ribs and meat in a large pot with enough water to cover. When it starts boiling, after a couple of minutes, take out the meat and ribs and wash in clean water. Discard the boiled water.
- Put meat back into the pot and add about 1 ½ gallons of water. Bring it to boil.
- Peel the radish, cut leeks in half, slice ginger and slice garlic (save 1 clove and mince). Add everything into the pot, along with the rice wine. Return to a boil, and remove the radish when it is tender, after about ½ hour (test it with a chopstick). Let the radish cool.
- When radish cools off, cut into bite sized, thin slices. Season it with 1 tbsp of soy sauce, some of the finely chopped green onion, minced garlic, sesame oil and black pepper.
- Remove ribs after boiling about 1½ hrs, cook brisket for another 30-40 mins. When brisket is tender, take it out, and cut into bite size.
- Strain the remaining soup and remove any leftover ingredients from the soup. Strain the soup stock through a sieve to get rid of fat. If you cook ahead time, you can put the stock in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or over night and it will be an effective way of getting rid of the hardened fat.
- Fry egg white and yolk separately into thin crepes. Cut into thin string-like shapes.
- Season the soup stock adding 2-3 tbsp of light soy sauce, and 1 tbsp salt. Put back ribs and seasoned brisket, seasoned radish and bring it to quick boil.
- Add salt to taste and serve with chopped green onion, thin cut fried egg strips, and thin threaded hot pepper.
Serving Size: 5-6
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes