Gaeng Gari (Thai Yellow Curry Paste)
This yellow curry recipe is very versatile, you'll want to try it with a variety of meat, seafood, noodle and soup recipes. Make a large batch and freeze the curry into cubes. When you want to make curry, take out a cube and defrost the curry whenever you need it!
- 4 dried, red chilies
- 2 lemongrass stalks (white section only - do not include the green parts), finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated on a microplane
- 3 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 4 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 inch piece of galangal or ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, ground up
- 1 tablespoons of fish sauce (optional if you want to make this vegetarian)
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, sliced into very finely thin strips (about 1/16 of an inch pieces)
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice (or the juice from 1/2 a lime)
- Using a mortar and pestle (a blender can be used, but the consistency won't be the same), grind the chilies and lemongrass into a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Pound the ingredients until it is processed to a fine paste. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks (or longer).
- Makes 1 cup
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes