Dotorimuk Muchim (Acorn Jelly)
Dotorimuk muchim requires first making the dotorimuk, a jelly made of acorn paste that has consistency somewhere between jello and tofu. It's considered healthy and high in protein. I like to make a basic muchim (seasoning) with it and serve it cold, or I make a dotorimuk salad
, which is similar to the muchim but with some greens.
- 1 cup of acorn powder (dotorimuk powder 도토리묵), you can buy this at a Korean grocery store
- 6 cups of cold water
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or any vegetable oil)
- Sauce ingredients
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper powder
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 stalk green onion
- ½ tsp sesame seed powder
- 2 sheets of dry seaweed (roasted)
- Mix 6 cups of water and 1 cup of the acorn powder in a large pot. Put on high heat, mixing well and stirring consistently. When the liquid start thickening, add the salt and oil, keep stirring. Cook for 5-6 more minutes stirring continuously -- it will eventually turn dark. Turn the heat off and let it sit for a couple more minutes.
- Pour the cooked mixture into a square glass casserole dish or a low stainless steel container. Let it firm at room temperature for 4-5 hours -- if you are in a hurry, you can dip the container in ice or cool water, or put it into the refrigerator, covered.
- After it has gelled, slice into squares, approximately the size of a block of tofu. This way you can store the remainder that you will not use. Store covered and in the refrigerator.
- Using one of the ~ 9-10oz blocks, slice into thin rectangular pieces, about the size of a business card.
- Prepare the mixing sauce, mixing together soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, olive oil and red pepper powder. Spread the sauce over the dotorimuk slices, mixing carefully with your hand. The dotorimuk is fragile so your works best. Lay out the seasoned slices in a dish.
- Sprinkle with green onions, sesame seed powder and crushed or sliced seaweed.
Serving Size: 2-3
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes