Coconut Ice Cream
Homemade Thai coconut ice cream is delicious on a hot summer day. This dessert is great for serving after a spicy Thai meal.
- 2 3/4 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream (whip cream)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup palm sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons coconut flakes
- Heat the coconut milk, salt, and sugar in a saucepan. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds with a paring knife. Add the vanilla bean seeds, vanilla bean pod to the milk mixture.
- Stir together the egg yolks in a bowl and gradually add some of the warmed cream mixture, stirring constantly as you pour. Pour the warmed yolks back into the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens. Set aside to chill. Remove the vanilla bean pod. Stir in coconut flakes.
- Pour coconut milk liquid into the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. The coconut ice cream will be soft after churning but firms up after freezing. After the coconut ice cream is finished in the ice cream maker, transfer to an airtight container. Cover tightly and freeze until ready to serve.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 45 minutes