When I first moved to the US, I wanted to make a cake for my family that had coconut flavors. Whenever someone asks me for the recipe, they are always shocked that I used store bought cake!
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 can of coconut milk (14 ounces)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of coconut extract (can substitute with vanilla extract)
- 1 package of cream cheese frosting, softened (8 ounces)
- 1 stick of butter, softened (8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups of toasted coconut flakes
- Preheat ove to 350 degrees
- Butter and flour two 8-inch cake pans.
- Prepare the cake batter by mixing together the white cake mix, coconut milk, eggs and coconut extract in a large mixing bowl. Beat until smooth for about 1 minute.
- Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and smooth the top with a knife. Bake in the center of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until the tops are browned and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a baking rack for 30 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a baking rack to finish cooling.
- While the cake is cooling, make the icing.
- For the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract on low speed. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until just smooth.
- To assemble, place 1 layer on a flat serving plate, top side down, and spread with frosting. Place the second layer on top, top side up, and frost the top and sides. To decorate the cake, sprinkle the top with toasted coconut. Serve at room temperature.
Serving Size: 6-8
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 45 minutes