Chicken in Savory Hot Pepper Sauce
This recipe is one I have tinkered with for years. It is lovely and fragrant, very satisfying, delicious served on warm brown rice. I like to have some chunks of melon and fresh pineapple as a complimentary side salad. The sweetness of the fruit marries well with the spicy and savory chicken dish.
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp. dry sherry
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- ½ tsp to 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (to your taste)
- 1/3 cup diced green onions (scallions)
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ cup salted peanuts
- Blend 1 tbsp. soy sauce and cornstarch in a small steel or glass bowl; mix in chicken, set aside. Combine remaining soy sauce, sherry, sugar and vinegar, set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in wok over high heat, add red pepper flakes, cook until pepper turns black. Add chicken, stir fry 3 minutes; remove. Stir fry scallions and ginger 1 minute. Return chicken to wok and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Add soy mixture, cook 1 minute longer, mix in peanuts and serve with brown rice. Serves 3 or 4.
Serving Size: 3-4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes