Agujjim (Braised Monkfish)
Agujjim is a spicy Korean fish dish that uses monkfish, which has a wonderful meaty taste like lobster. This dish is fairly spicy, but you can adjust it (put less hot pepper) if you like.
- 1 large monk fish (2.5 lb), or 2.5 lbs of monkfish chunks
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp anchovy powder
- 3-4 thin slices of ginger
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 lb soybean sprout (kongnamul 콩나물)
- 8 oz Korean watercress (minari 미나리)
- 2 bunches green onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 4 tbsp sweet rice flour
- Ingredients for seasoning sauce (yangnyeomjang 양념장)
- 2-3 tbsp of hot pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루)
- 2 tbsp clear Korean soy sauce (guk ganjang 국간장)
- 1 tbsp hot pepper paste (gochujang 고추장)
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground sesame seed powder (kaesogum 깨소금)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (chamgirum 참기름)
- 1 1/2 cup of fish stock (from boiling the fish)
- Slice the monkfish into 2" chunks.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, and add 1 tsp anchovy powder, slices of ginger, garlic pieces, sliced yellow onion and 1 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil, then boil for 6-7 minutes. Blanch the fish in the boiling water, turning the fish around quickly. When the fish turns white, remove it from the water, saving the stock for later.
- Prep the vegetables: trim the bean sprout tails, wash thoroughly, discarding any head "skins" and set aside. Wash watercress and green onions – cut into 2" lengths. Bias cut the red bell pepper thinly, discarding the seeded and interior flesh.
- Dissolve 4 tbsp of sweet rice flour using about 7-8 tbsp of fish stock to make a smooth liquid mixture. Set aside.
- Mix all the seasoning sauce (yangnyeomjang 양념장) ingredients well – set aside.
- In a large wok, add the monkfish, bean sprouts, green onion and sliced pepper. Spread the seasoning sauce on top evenly and cover. Bring to a boil -- this should take about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the watercress and the rice flour water which will act as a thickener. Cook for additional 10 min, adjust salt if necessary. Serve while warm.
Serving Size: 5-6
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes